Home Page Link Thaxted - under the present flightpath and threatened with quadrupled activity Takeley's 12th century parish church, close to proposed second runway Harcamlow Way, Bamber's Green - much of the long distance path and village would disappear under Runway 2 Clavering - typical of the Uttlesford villages threatened by urbanisation
Campaigning against proposals to expand Stansted Airport

image Press Release - 26 April 2004

HONOUR FOR STOP STANSTED EXPANSION WITH PARLIAMENTARY AWARD
FOR BEST COMMUNITY CAMPAIGN

Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) has received the national award for the UK's "Best Community Campaign" by a prestigious parliamentary group at a ceremony in the House of Lords today (Monday 26th April).

The 'Towards Sustainable Aviation Awards' are given by the influential All-party Parliamentary Sustainable Aviation Group for outstanding achievement in reducing and controlling the environmental impacts of air transport. SSE was praised for its "hard-hitting, fact-based grass roots campaign".

Campaign Chairman Norman Mead and Campaign Director Carol Barbone received the award on behalf of SSE from Lord Faulkner of Worcester and Braintree MP Alan Hurst at a special ceremony which also recognised the achievements of the media, parliamentarians, community groups, scientists and financial institutions [see Notes to Editors].

Commenting on SSE's success, Norman Mead said: "Presentation of the facts about the impacts of expansion in a clear and straightforward way has been our goal from the very beginning of the campaign. We know that this community has come to trust us as a result - and it has earned us respect at the very highest levels, evidenced by today's award."

Norman Mead added: "We're not in this business to win awards but to eliminate the threat of Stansted becoming the world's largest airport. Nevertheless, to receive the accolade of Best Community Campaign is a real honour and demonstrates that we have an excellent foundation from which to go forward and defeat the expansion proposals which are before us."

ENDS

Photographs/further information/comment can be obtained from Carol Barbone on 0777 552 3091 or cbarbone@mxc.co.uk    Norman Mead can be contacted on 01279 659483

NOTE TO EDITORS

The All-Party Parliamentary Sustainable Aviation Group was formed in response to the Government's recent Air Transport White Paper. The Group's Mission Statement is:

"To inform the U.K. Government about the range and scale of the local, national and global environmental impacts that the air transport industry causes and to participate in the debate on how best to control and reduce them, creating an environmentally sustainable future for those who work in, use, and are affected by the industry's everyday operations."

The Group's Officers are: Lord Faulkner of Worcester, Chair; Vice Chairs; John Randall MP, Tony Colman MP; David Taylor MP, Treasurer; and Patsy Calton MP, Secretary.

The following categories and recipients stress the areas where the Group seeks to influence and reward activities that make a significant contribution "Towards Sustainable Aviation".

The 2004 "Towards Sustainable Aviation" Award winners are:

1. "Parliamentarian of the Year" Award - Lord Beaumont of Whitley, the Green Party Peer who is currently steering an Air Traffic Emissions Reduction Bill through the House of Lords.

2. " Media Award" for coverage of Aviation and Environment issues - Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent of "The Times". Consistent, high quality news coverage of the White Paper debate.

3. "Best Community Campaign" Award - Stop Stansted Expansion, Carol Barbone, Campaign Director and Norman Mead, SSE Chair. Hard-hitting, fact based grass roots campaign with well-developed media and fundraising skills.

4. "Sustainable Travel" Award - Eurostar, for Channel Tunnel Rail Link success in taking market share from airlines on Paris and Brussels routes.

5. "Sustainable Business" Award - Swiss Re, the giant re-insurance company for reducing flights, monitoring and calculating air travel emissions. They are attempting to cut CO2 emission by 15% and are giving $2.5 million over10 years to the World Bank's Community Development Carbon Fund to offset the remaining 85%.

6. "Lifetime Achievement" Award - Professor Birgitta Berglund, Professor of Perception and Psychophysics, University of Stockholm. Professor Berglund has worked for more than 25 years in the field of human sensory systems and their importance for health and the development of remedial action and standards, in particular community noise exposure. Professor Berglund was the Rapporteur of the WHO Task Force that produced new tougher Noise Exposure Standards in 1999. One of her current projects is studying the effects of aircraft noise on children's learning skills in schools.


See Award Photo

Back to the Media Centre