BRIEFING NOTE ON NWEEHPA AND SSE
1. NWEEHPA was formed in 1965. Its present Constitution was adopted in July 2003. Its objectives are:
(i) To represent and assist by all means the interests of Members in the preservation of the amenities, the environment and the quality of life
of North West Essex and East Hertfordshire;
(ii) In particular to contain the development and impact of Stansted Airport; and
(iii) To co-ordinate the efforts of all persons and organisations in furtherance of the objectives in (i) and (ii) above in the most effective manner possible.
2. The Association's Constitution provides, inter alia, that its membership shall consist of persons and organisations who subscribe to the objectives of NWEEHPA and to its funds. The Association has an Executive and a number of officers.
3. The Executive may delegate any of its powers to a sub-committee or sub-committees. Any such sub-committee shall include at least one member of the Executive and such other members of NWEEHPA as the Executive may nominate. In carrying out any of its delegated powers, it must conform to any directions given by the Executive.
STOP STANSTED EXPANSION
4. At its Annual Meeting on 25 July 2002, NWEEHPA agreed that a major
initiative should be launched via a campaign sub-group operating under
the umbrella of NWEEPHA. It did not, however, formally set up a
sub-group or sub-committee.
5. An open invitation was extended to organisations and individuals
wanting to form a campaign group to oppose the expansion of Stansted
Airport to attend a public meeting on 1 August 2002. At that meeting it
was suggested that the simplest and most effective way forward would be
for NWEEHPA to set up an Action Group on which it would be joined by
representatives of other organisations (such as Friends of the Earth,
CPRE and others) and by concerned individuals.
6. The aims and objects of the Working Group would be to consider all
matters relating to the operation and development of Stansted Airport in
the context of sustainable development; to conduct or commission
relevant enquiries and research; to increase public awareness of these
issues; to liaise with other organisations as appropriate; to conduct
campaigns and to make representations to Government departments, local
authorities and other relevant bodies. The Action Group would be
serviced by NWEEHPA's Secretary and Treasurer and would choose its own
Chairman and Deputy Chairman.
7. The meeting appointed Mr Norman Mead as its Chairman and Mr Peter
Gowan as its Deputy Chairman. It established the following committees
and appointed their Chairman:
Finance, fundraising and membership
Lobbying and publicity
The law and compensation
Formulating the response to the consultation paper
8. It was agreed that the chairmen of the committees, together with the Chairman and Deputy Chairmen, should form the Executive Committee, and that the Committee should have the power to co-opt other members.
9. The Executive Committee would decide the name of the new
organisation - subsequently named "Stop Stansted Expansion".
10. It was agreed not to have a constitution for the new organisation.
Effectively, Stop Stansted Expansion has operated as a sub-committee of